Working In Partnership With Your Letting Agent
When the time comes to let your property it is important to ensure that you entrust the let to a reputable letting agent if the stress involved in finding a tenant, managing the property and maximising your investment is to be minimised.
However, the most successful lets tend to be those where the landlord and letting agent work hand in hand during the initial marketing process. Here are some pointers:
- Be open with your agent about any problems with the property. Even if these cannot be solved, awareness of an issue could secure a let that might otherwise not have happened.
- If you are currently living in the property yourself, ensure your agent is properly informed about which fixtures and fittings will be staying/going.
- Tell the agent if you have any direct tenant enquiries – it can avoid confusion over commission.
- Ideally your agent should accompany all viewings, but if you show the tenants round yourself, immediately let your agent know how the viewing went, so he/she can follow-up appropriately.
- Keep the house and garden clean and tidy at all times – you never know when you might get a short-notice viewing, or prospective tenants peering over the fence.
- Aim to be as flexible as possible over viewing times and occupancy dates.
- Agree to listen constructively to your agent’s feedback and recommendations.
- Share your objectives with your agent – eg for some landlords having a careful and reliable tenant is more important than securing the very highest rent. For others the rent is the most important criteria. Make sure your agent knows what your requirements are.
As your letting agent we share your objectives – So help us to help you. After all – we’re on your side!